Monday 23 June 2008

Nearly there...

Quick update before I forget what happened at the weekend...

Didn't do an awful lot on the 125 as the Skorpion needed a bit of routine maintenance, and I got all frustrated and edgy towards the end of the session so I thought it better to stop before I really broke something...

A word to the wise - take the top yoke off before bashing the forks...

Managed to get the forks out though! Turns out the WD40 had worked its magic - with the application of a small amount of rubber-mallet work. It would have been a bit more successful if I had realised there was actually a lip in the top yoke casting above the top of the fork leg - that way we wouldn't have knackered that bit. Hey ho, you live and learn, and the reason for dismantling this one first was partly to learn valuable lessons like this for the other two.

So now the top yoke is knackered, and it's not the kind of casting that's going to be possible to weld back together. We got both forks out though... And the bottom yoke is fine!

I didn't manage to get the headrace bearings out though, partly because Justin said "oh, that'll be easy"... Well, I got a long drift (that handy bit of bar that lies around awaiting these kind of jobs) and bashed and bashed and bashed. Did either of the bearings move? No. So I put the hammer down, got the WD40 out again and left it.

All that needs doing on the frame now is getting those bearings out and the spacer tube between them, and there's a rubber gromet been left behind by something in the swingarm/footrest area that needs to be prised off. And then it'll just be a bare frame ready for cleaning up & sending off for powder coating... Although in actuality it'll wait until I've got all the frames I'm going to send ready, so I can get a job lot done for hopefully a more efficient price

Then I can have a good old tidy up and start on another one...

No comments: